Even in the little things

I was pulled over today.  I was driving, admittedly distracted, thinking about what had just happened at the store, and composing my "this is not right" email.  I came down the hill, I saw the car sitting there, then watched him turn around, wondered, then assuming he was there for me.  So, I switched lanes, so did he, and then those red a blue lights of shame begin to spin. I came to an easy stop, because, of course, I was doing the speed limit now anyways.  I pull out my wallet, see my (expired) insurance card, and just sigh.  Oh well.

So, this officer collects my information, thankfully trusts I really do have insurance (I DO), and eventually comes back with my ticket.  As I sat there, I stewed, and these negative emotions just swirl, and I am floored that he pulled me over, I mean really, me...  I don't speed, I don't, if he only knew.  If he had just been at the last place, if he had known what my weekend had included, if he knew I was a good person just doing what I needed to do for work.  Now, none of that mattered.  I was too busy caught up in my  poor me, I almost forgot to see the truth and I was reminded of Paul's words: "So, letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death.  But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace." -Romans 8:6

Isn't this the case many times?  I was too busy thinking about the little things, these minor inconveniences to pay attention to what was happening around me.  I was consumed in myself, and how I was treated unjustly, and how I was NOT going to cry, not this time.  Yet, crying comes naturally to me, and flow in abundance.  So, I did what came naturally to me, I cried, in front of others. Thankfully, my two friends did what comes naturally to them.  I was embraced, I was comforted.  They allowed me to vent out my struggles, nodding in empathy, and gave me my moment of vindication, but did not let me stay there, and, as they left, I felt the embrace of my Father.

My Father knew today was coming.  He knew my weekend had been a struggle, he knew my emotions were getting out of whack and he provided a divine appointment.  He does this a lot, and they do not often look like what I would prefer. Today he was more concerned about my character, not my comfort.  He showed me, once again, he is in control, I am  not unnoticed, and I belong to his care, even when I am frustrated. It's funn "But you belong to God, my dear children.  You have already won a victory over those people, because the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world." 1 John 4:4 NLT

Comments

  1. Been there. I know how you feel. It is so discouraging to get a ticket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob, yes, it was totally that moment of discouragement. Yet, it gave me the opportunity to be so grateful for my colleagues and friends. They are a great group!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I want to write

[kuh m-par-uh-suh n]