Work is MORE than a Paycheck


This week has been personally challenging for me. 

You may have noticed my quietness. 

Finally, the fog has cleared and I am again grateful for the quiet times, the challenging weeks, because they remind me of the things around me that bring me joy. 

First, I have this amazing colleague; she is an amazing listener, great at giving space, and asking just the right questions.  She is quite the unassuming character who lives with a quiet, but fierce, passion.  I watch her demonstrate concern for each person that walks through our doors and the joy when a success occurs.  This week she remained steadfast, she let me share my troubles, and then, she went along for the ride of letting me figure out what needed to happen next.

Second, I have two teachers that come in each day.  They are working with the children who will be our graduating classes of 2028 and 2029.  They prepare lessons, clean up messes, act silly, give hugs, and guide the children in our school.  They fill out paperwork, make referrals, and clean up more messes (because I know how much we all love family style meals).  They make plans, they modify, and they work together.

Third, there are other colleagues that I do not see every day.  I know they too, are working “in the trenches” and are comprised of different talents, different jobs, and different ways of dealing with stress.  I noticed there are those within my immediate activities that show their caring in different ways.  They become someone to “share the load”, someone to laugh with, and they make this journey so worth the effort.

My hope, for each of you today, is that you too, have people like this in your life.  I know someone you spend time with the same group of people.  I encourage you to seek out a listener, a comedian, a dreamer, a “go-getter”; because, in the end, we are all striving for the best in those we teach, we work with, we work for, we learn from, and we go home to. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I want to write

Even in the little things

[kuh m-par-uh-suh n]