Posture of Peace

 This past week I have several friends reacting to a post on social media. It looked like an innocent enough picture, but “the powers that be” chose to censor the picture for potentially offensive content. As I read comments, and saw increasingly more people commenting on the post, or sharing the post it led me to think, well that algorithm or plan worked. I have revisited the posts on multiple pages several times to see if it is still in censored mode. I even considered reposting it myself.  I consider this plan then ask myself, why am I choosing this, why am I invested in this picture, or any post, or the reactions it generates within me? What do I gain by giving my time to social media?

Social media is a means to advertising dollars, and income is best generated in an environment of discord and discontentment. This picture that had no obvious reason to be censored and likely would have been easily passed by as a lovely statement and picture soon forgotten. However, the act of censorship led to the discussion of why, confusion bred frustration, even anger at the social media powers that be. The dopamine hit from each post, comment, and share was stress inducing to some and reactions of visceral anger. Each time a small retraining and rewiring is happening in our brains. It gives just enough of a hit to cause a reaction and that reaction then gets repeated, and for myself, gets repeated far more than I care to admit.

I am reminded of Paul’s words to the church of Philippi, in chapter 4 of Philippians, verses 8 and 9 “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. Peace from the Hebrew word “eirene”, meaning one, peace, quietness, rest. It is a common farewell equating to the health and welfare of an individual. For me, what if I sought out words of peace, actions towards peace? I envision “eirene” as a settled spirit, a person of invitation. As Jesus knew his ministry was coming to an end, in John 14, he shares with his disciples the promised Holy Spirit and tells them his time is ending but He is leaving them with the gift of peace, the gift this world cannot give.

May today our actions reflect the posture of our hearts, knowing there will be time for righteous anger and indignation. There will be a time to stand upon the truth in the Word, likely a daily opportunity. Can I seek to share truth from a posture of peace? One thing I am pursuing is three times a week of getting quiet for a set amount of time. Sometimes that peace is not quiet, sometimes it is an intentional walk with a friend, or putting my kayak in the water. Other times it is turning on music and restarting to lift heavy things. It comes from willingly walking away from my phone and technology and the instant access to everything. I will be intentional to invite “eirene” into those spaces and make new pathways and rewiring of my brain synapse. In what way will you do the same?

Comments

  1. I am glad you restarted this blog. I can totally relate to the anxiety and anger over someone else's words or opinions and ironically I have chosen to reflect back on the same verses you have mentioned. I usually take a deep breath and look outside if possible and see God's wonderful creations like his sky, his trees, and yes even his humans. We are all flawed but it is good to know He loves us anyway. I will continue to pray that God will use me in anyway he sees that will fit His purpose on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I want to write

Even in the little things

[kuh m-par-uh-suh n]